Welcome!

I started this page as a way to share good and healthy recipes with my family and friends (so many had asked for my Quinoa and Kale Salad recipe!) and to encourage more of us to get motivated to make a change for the better. There are only a few of us posting so far, but please feel free to invite anyone who you'd think would like to share recipes with us, just e- mail or facebook message me their e-mail address and I will add them as an administrator.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Split Pea Soup

I don't know if I'm the only who makes split pea soup this way, but I love it! It's a comfort food that is healthy for you too - a rare combo.

1 lb dry split peas (green or yellow, I use organic) - or you could use lentils if you prefer for yummy lentil soup
4 or 5 cloves garlic
1 med onion
3 or 4 bay leaves
Real Salt & pepper
Filtered water
2 large carrots, cut into largish bite sized chunks
1/2 head broccoli
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into largish bite sized chunks
1 1/2 C almond milk or light coconut milk (or we could try out our new MimicCreme here)
Avocado

Simmer split peas (or lentils), bay leaves, garlic, onion, and Real Salt & pepper in enough filtered water to cover 4 or 5 inches above lentils. Test lentils for doneness, then add almond milk. Simmer for another 5 minutes. When done turn off heat, add veggies and let stand to warm veggies (don't boil veggies or you'll cook the nutrients out). Garnish with slices of avocado. Veggies will be al dente but tasty in this very yummy soup.

No comments: